Friday, May 21, 2010

My Killer Cows Interview at Oasis For YA

Another interview with me has been posted at Oasis For YA, a really cool website dedicated to both readers and writers of young adult fiction...

http://oasisforya.blogspot.com/2010/05/freestyle-friday-this-just-in-were.html

Jessica Sounder, who maintains the blog, also wrote a great review of Killer Cows (reprinted with permission)...

This was a very cute read! Perfect for young adults and the young at heart who like the B-rated black and white films. I started it yesterday, and after a slow start, got hooked in, finishing it in less than 24 hours. All in all it was very entertaining, though I felt the characters could use a bit more fleshing out. All the kids pretty much felt the same,including their dialogue, minus "little dude," Cody. He was the most fascinating and unique character of the bunch.


I was worried it would be a hooky rendition of recent horror films, such as Black Sheep, but was pleasantly surprised that not only was it uproariously funny, making me laugh several times, it had a good moral that wasn't at all preachy.

The ending was not as I'd expected it, and was a refreshing contrast to the normal "formula" ones of the genre.

The only disappointment was the "Romance" between Randy and Helen. It felt as if it had been thrown in because the author felt it needed a romance. In this reader's personal opinion, it could have been left out. However, it didn't really detract from the read, just made me wonder why it was there.

The reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is because I felt this book could have used a better edit. There were several typos and a few They're instead of there or theirs. And you're instead of yours.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the paperback edition to come out so I can give it to my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment